Best Baklava Recipe
16 oz phyllo dough
1 cup butter
1 lb chopped nuts (walnuts, pistachios, cashew nuts)
1 cup white sugar
½ cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup water
1. Warm your oven to 350 degrees F. 2. Grease a fairly large baking dish with butter and keep aside.
3. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of chopped nuts and toss well to mix.
4. Roll out the phyllo dough and cut it into half.
5. Spread out two dough sheets in the dish and butter; continue the process until you get 8 layers of phyllo dough sheets in your dish.
6. Spoon in some of the spiced nuts and spread evenly throughout the sheets.
7. Cover them with 2 more sheets, coat it with butter and top the sheets with another layer of nut mixture.
8. Continue the layering and until you have covered 2/3 rd of the depth of baking dish.
9. Top the layers up with final 6 phyllo sheets.
10. Cut it out in small squares with a sharp knife.
11. Bake for 50 minutes until the crust turns crisp and golden.
12. Meanwhile, to make the sauce, melt sugar in water over heat.
13. Pour in honey and vanilla and let it simmer for half an hour.
14. When your baklava is done, take it out of the oven, smother it with the sauce and serve.